SGRAFFITO – online live class with Gemma Black
* WORKSHOPS FOR ALL LEVELS IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE *
WHERE AND WHEN:
11th September 2020 – from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon (Rome Time, GMT+2+)
in Direct Via ZOOM
The Zoom session will be recorded. If you are unable to watch live, you may still take the class.
Links for the videos will be sent to you after class has ended and expire in 1 week.
+39 349-6051804 (Whatsapp)
“The workshop is aimed at everyone: designers, professionals, students, graphic designers, tattoo artists, letter lovers, just curious people or anyone interested in calligraphy, both as an artistic medium and as a graphic element to complete or enrich an editorial or advertising work.
• HOW IT WORKS:
– Buy the Workshop through the normal e-commerce procedure of the site
– The days before the Workshop, you will receive the PDF handout and your personal address to access the Zoom Direct with the rest of the Class by mail.
• WHAT YOU BUY:
– 2 Hours live on ZOOM in 1 Day shared with teacher and class with the possibility to interact at the moment.
– Handouts and Work sheets in PDF format
To be part of the classe no previous specific knowledge is required, only the interest and desire to explore the world of letters.
• TOPIC: Sgraffito (Gold leaf and Colours)
Gold is such a mystical creature. Gold makes the world go around. Gold is precious! We are going to use gold in a sgraffito technique that dates back centuries before our common era! Sgraffito is a form of decoration made by scratching through a surface (in our case gold) to reveal a lower layer of paint. Many ancient sgraffito works of art still survive and are protected on plaster walls throughout the world. Some of the following materials will be hard to find and purchase in time for the class so I suggest if you don’t have them already and you can’t get them, please don’t worry, take copious notes and work your SGRAFFITO at a later date.
- choose a mid-weight fine art paper such as 300gsm (140lb) neutral colour – it can be smooth or textured, white or cream, ½ doz pieces A5 (roughly 8” x 5”) in size. Have some practice paper too layout, bond etc. to prepare thumbnail designs
- before class if you can, and on that good paper create/paint a smooth solid background in either gouache, water colour, acrylic, strong vibrant colour. Cover most of the paper and let dry. Use what you have got handy but acrylic is the better option
- flat brush (not a super good one) for laying gold size – about a ½ brush
- if you have any of the following bring them:
– some sheets of real gold leaf is 8 x 8 cm (3.25 inches) only if you have some
– gold size any you have already like:
– gum ammoniaccum home made (best) or bought or
– ormoline by Robertson of
– miniatum ink by Kholner
- Sgraffito tool : similar to what you see here.
Neither of these has a sharp point. Also bring the usual basics, ruler, eraser, compass, lead pencils (hb). Water jar with water for quick brush rinsing, note book, rag etc.
• THE TEACHER:
Gemma Black is an artist and calligraphic-designer. Gemma was a recipient of a Winston Churchill Memorial Fellowship to study in Europe that allowed her to research, observe and learn the practice of calligraphy. She is an Honoured Fellow and Fellow of the prestigious Calligraphy & Lettering Arts Society, UK. For over 25 years Gemma has taught extensively for calligraphy, bookbinding, art & craft organisations around Australia including the Australian National University. Gemma has taught in Italy, Germany, Spain, South Africa, USA, Canada and the UK. Her work is housed in private and public collections including the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, UK, the European Parliament and Parliament House Canberra. Her work involves mostly calligraphy, book structures, decorative paper techniques, abstract watercolour painting and grounds for calligraphy. Gemma lives in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia If you would like to read about the day to day life of a lettering designer please visit Gemma’s BLOG